Monday 7 March 2016

Continuation of Somerset Adventure


As you will know if you read my last posting we have been staying in Somerset for a long weekend. This is a favourite destination for us and we have been to the area many times but each time we go back we see or go somewhere we haven't been before as well as visiting old haunts.


Once again we stayed at The Langbury, this is the very best B & B we have stayed in, just perfection in every way and the hosts Paula and Nigel have become great friends.









On our first full day we motored into Devon as we had promised my No. 1 son who was spending the weekend with us that we would take him to The Valley of Rocks that DH and I visited back in October. We drove to Lynmouth via the toll road from Porlock, wow, what a view you get from the toll booth on the top of the moor looking back east towards Porlock.






As we crossed the top of the moor we were lucky enough to spot a group of native Exmoor ponies, these can be difficult to spot and don't very often come so close to the road so we were extremely lucky to see them.






The view across the moor is spectacular.






We then parked up in Lynmouth and headed for the cliff lift to take us up to Lynton. 






The weather was dry and sunny when we left Lynmouth as can be seen in the two photos below ...









By the time we returned later in the day the weather had closed in - just look at the difference. We experienced all extremes of weather on this day from sun to snow and everything between!






However, we still had lots of bright sunny and breezy weather to come for our walk to the Valley of Rocks, my son and I decided to walk from Lynton along the narrow coast path, you might remember from my post of our last trip here in October that my DH wasn't at all keen on being so close to a vertical drop to the sea so he walked along the road and met up with us later. As you can see from the photos below the feral goats that reside in this unique place were much in evidence.


































We found my DH sat on a seat in the sun in a sheltered spot waiting for us.






Luckily for us the weather remained dry for our walk back to Lynton where we enjoyed lunch.






I then made a visit to John Arbon Textiles to buy some sock wool and some socks for my No. 2 son (watchers of Country File might recall this company featured at the end of January). We came out of the shop to find the weather had suddenly turned and it was snowing so we made our way quickly back to the cliff lift by which time it had turned to sleet. By the time we reached Lynmouth it had turned to rain, and very icy rain at that, so we decided to cut short our day and make our way back across the moor on the high road.


By the time we had climbed out of the deep wooded valley to the top of the moor the weather had improved dramatically and we were lucky enough to see two herds of red deer as we crossed the moor - a real treat.












On Saturday I split company from DH and No. 1 son who were spending the day enjoying the steam gala on the West Somerset Railway. I decided to go walking instead (somehow I have to face the scales at Slimming World next week and with all the extra eating I really needed the exercise). I decided to catch the steam train down to Minehead and walk back to Blue Anchor along the coast path - a distance of 4.5 miles. I was a bit nervous about doing this as I don't usually walk on my own but I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely do it again. 


The first part of the walk takes you along the promenade at Minehead before turning onto the coast path and walking alongside the golf course.
























After passing a couple of pill boxes at the end of the golf course you reach the Dunster beach chalets which stretch along Dunster beach for quite a way.









After a quick breather and a loo stop I walked onwards towards Blue Anchor.






Crossing this field I spot Blue Anchor in the distance so am now on the homeward stretch.












I timed my arrival back in Blue Anchor at just the right time to see a double-headed steam train pull out from Blue Anchor on its way towards Minehead. There were about fifty photographers stood in the field on the other side of the track taking photographs. 









By this time it was lunchtime and I enjoyed a lovely prawn sandwich and a welcome mug of coffee at the Driftwood cafe before relaxing and reading my book in the warm and snug lounge at The Langbury before walking down to the station to meet the menfolk on their return.






All too soon it was Sunday morning and time to pack up and leave The Langbury but before returning home we stopped off in Watchet, principally for the menfolk to take yet more steam train photographs, while I enjoyed wandering around the harbour.




























There was a final treat in store on the way home as it was Mothering Sunday so my son treated us to lunch which rounded off a super weekend very nicely indeed.






Sorry, yet another long post, if you have stayed with me, thank you for reading. I will be back again soon. 

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, you certainly had a great break away and encountered Mother Nature at her finest with such a wide mix of weather. Beautiful views and some rare glimpses at the wildlife, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so lucky with the weather and all your animal spotting! Looks like a wonderful break. Hope you've recovered from your jet-lag!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos. I loved that area when we visited a few years ago. I liked Watchet and Dunster and I remember the road we took to Lynton and Lynmouth and the cliff railway. Your B&B looks lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was wonderful to go along on your travels with you and see familiar places and new places and share your memories and re live some of my own! Thank you so much for taking us along!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous post Jan. I visited Lynmouth years ago and it was lovely to be reminded. I didn't find that scary cliff path and what amazing wildlife. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. B xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant weekend you've had - I'd have enjoyed a weekend like this very much with so many great views, the sea, the goats...! Beautiful collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing weekend. I love seeing all the photos. I understand why this is a favorite destination for you. It looks like such a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely post, Jan, which brought back some good memories of past holidays in that area. I remember coming across those feral goats one overcast afternoon, as I walked the coastal footpath. The goats were high up on the rocks, silhouetted against a cloudy sky and looking very scary, almost evil as they looked down at me. I was very glad to get past them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The looks a wonderful weekend in Somerset. I remember your visiting this hotel before and singing it's praise. The pictures you have taken are so lovely! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh weren't you lucky, not only to see goats, ponies and deer but also to get some great photos too. Xx

    ReplyDelete