Friday 12 February 2016

Tools Of My Trade


Friday's seem to come round so quick these days and it is time for Five On Friday again, once more I am linking up with Amy at Love Made My Home and this week I am bringing you the tools of my trade (in this case the things I use on a daily basis to do my crochet). I do like to have lovely quality tools to use to assist me in my crafting - whether it be crochet, knitting or cross-stitch so thought I would show you some of the bits and pieces I wouldn't want to be without for my crochet projects.


Number one is my wool winder, I like to wind my wool into cakes using this gadget. It is well worth the time spent on the winding process and you will see why when you see tool number two. The winding process is quite therapeutic (except when the wool decides to knot as you are pulling it from the ball).





Number two is my yarn spinner, this holds the cakes of yarn which I pop on the floor or onto a table next to where I am crocheting. This is much easier to work with than having a ball of yarn leaping all over the place as you crochet.





Number three is my lovely collection of Clover Amour crochet hooks. I have used many types of hook over the years but I find these the best. They are not the cheapest hooks around but are so comfortable to use. I was getting stiff joints using the traditional aluminium hooks but I have no trouble with these at all.





This is number four and I am cheating really as there are several items photographed here but they are all the little bits and pieces you need around you as you crochet - tape measure, darning needles, scissors and pins.





And finally, number five is my newest acquisition which if you are a regular reader of my blog you will have seen recently. This is a blocking board which is used to block out the squares to the size you require. It makes a huge difference to the look of the square once it has been blocked and this is rapidly becoming a tool which I cannot do without.





I hope you have enjoyed viewing my five items this week. Have a good week and look forward to seeing you again same time, same place, next week.

22 comments:

  1. You have some useful tools to help you with your crochet. I remember having to sit with a skein of wool on my hands so grandma could roll balls for her knitting. The crochet hooks have great coloured handles. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jan! I finally found your blog. You mentioned that you liked my jigsaw. We were going to send it to the charity shop but I would be happy to post it to you as a little gift from one blogger to another ! If you would like, please email me your contact details: fionajorgensen@talktalk.net xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see I will have to go a bit more upmarket! I particularly like the colourful hooks. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting and you've explained a wool-related mystery to me which I've pondered over before: why re-wind already wound balls of wool? I quite understand now. I LOVE your mini-blocker, I don't know what it is about it, it looks tactile and pleasing. Perhaps I need to get out more? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to have the right tools for your trade. I would like to walk in your header!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the look of your blocking board. Very tempted! As for the yarn spinner it would certainly upset my cats...looks far to organised for them to chase after. Have a great weekend. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would love a blocking board like that. I do have a wool winder somewhere from my machine knitting days.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. A someone who is just learning to crochet I found your favourite tools and implements most fascinating. The wool as I buy it in the store is most frustrating and I can see why you make your wool cakes, I'll have to have a look for these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All so lovely and very useful. happy weekend, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous! I am already wanting the square blocker which are very hard to find yes I've been looking! now I'm wanting a winder and one of those yarn spinners. I have the clover hooks already and I love them along with my clover soft touch hooks, now I'm off to look for a yarn spinner, well if I'm on a yarn diet I might as well buy some tools of the trade, you are such a bad influence Jan haha have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for showing us all your crocheting tools which has been helpful as someone new to the craft. The crochet hooks look like a good buy for comfortable working. I'm using plastic ones as I do when using knitting needles. Someone else who does a lot of knitting and crocheting told me that plastic causes less strain on the wrists than metal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating, I like your tools, particularly the blocker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved seeing these! Especially the blocking board! How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great tools you have! I have the same wool winder and the same trouble winding from the ball, I wondered if putting it on one of those spinner things that you have and winding it from that would help. Have you tried that, does it work? Thank you for joining Five On Friday, Happy Valentines! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I haven't tried winding using the wool spinner but I do find it easier if you pull from the middle of the ball rather than the outside of the ball. It seems to go more smoothly doing it that way and not tangle. Hope that helps. xx

      Delete
  15. Hi Jan, I enjoyed reading your blog today and I too crochet. I've never wound my own yarn but I like the idea as well as the yarn spinner. Thank you for sharing some great ideas today. And, have a wonderful weekend, too :) Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great 5. Have been wondering about getting a granny blocker. Umm I may just get one now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Jan, great set of tools you have there! I have the same wool winder, but I'd like that spinner. Where did you get it from? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, one of my great crafting friends has a friend who makes these. He sells them through Etsy as well. If you are interested I can find out if he has any available at the moment. I have seen them for sale on various Etsy pages, if you google wool spinner it will hopefully take you to some. xx

      Delete
  18. No wonder your crocheting is so pretty, Jan--you have all the perfect tools (and talent certainly plays into it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your five tools are so great. I've been thinking about getting a wool winder. I'll have to see if I can find one of the yarn spinners to go with it. Thank you for sharing what you use to create all your pretty creations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh the beautiful colors and tools! I love the smooth wooden pieces. And those granny squares are gorgeous! I don't enjoy making granny squares but those are so pretty that I want to make some.

    ReplyDelete