Friday 27 May 2016

Five On Friday


It is time to join Amy at Love Made My Home for another Five On Friday post. I know I say this every week but I just don't know where the days are going to at the moment, it is frightening that Friday comes around so quickly and I haven't achieved as much as I had planned to do in the week. I don't seem to have much time to blog at the moment or visit other blogs but I am determined if nothing else I will do a weekly round-up for Five On Friday. Please forgive me if I haven't replied to some of your blog posts, I will endeavour to try harder in future!


Well, what have I been up to this week - really it boils down to the same as most weeks - work, walking, crochet with a couple of other bits and pieces thrown in.


1.  On Saturday we ventured to Salisbury to see Flying Scotsman, arguably the most famous steam train in the world. As my regular readers will know my DH and DS1 are big steam fanatics and this day had been eagerly awaited when this locomotive made a return trip to this part of the country. I decided to accompany them, mainly I have to say, because it was a miserable day but I still wanted to get some steps in. My goodness, did we get some steps - rather than motor to Salisbury we decided to go by train and it is a fair distance from home to the station, plus walking around Salisbury and then the return walk home (in torrential rain) all added up to well exceeding my target. Salisbury was absolutely packed with lots of mad steam lovers as was every bridge and vantage point on route. I would love to travel on one of these excursions and have a meal in the Pullman carriages but at £200+ I don't think that is ever going to happen!






2. I didn't have to work on Monday so we took advantage of a beautiful afternoon to walk the Forton Loop in Longparish. This walk is interesting as it takes you through varying landscape (from village street, meadow land, common land, agricultural land to woodland). It seems to be an excellent year for wildflowers which are growing in profusion at the moment.






3. Tuesday and Wednesday are working days for me but I did manage to do some crochet - progress was made on my interlocking ripple blanket and a couple of this week's pattern release squares have been completed on the Last Dance On The Beach CAL which you can see displayed on my blocking board.









4.  I am enjoying my garden but am waging a war against slugs and snails attacking my lovely Marguerite plant. As soon as the flowers appear they are being eaten. Just before taking this photo I have had to cut off several flowers that have been damaged beyond repair. They have also taken to nibbling at my Ice plant leaves as well but seem to leave everything else alone. Any advice as to how to deal with this pests will be welcome! 


























5. I work on a Thursday every other week but this week was a 2 day week for me so another walk beckoned. This time we started off in the village of St. Mary Bourne, I have shown you many photos from here in the past but this time we covered new territory for us (although I walked these paths many years ago with my Dad). The walk took us from the village up to Cold Harbour Farm and then on through the fields eventually arriving at the tiny hamlet of Wadwick before heading back to SMB. We are so enjoying our walks in our glorious countryside and spotting the changes as the weeks go by - long may we continue to be able to do this.






Well that is it for this week. I hope you all have a lovely long Bank Holiday weekend (UK) and that the weather stays kind. See you next week for another Five!

19 comments:

  1. Some beautiful walks Jan. I bet those men of yours loved their train visit. What is it about men and trains :) B xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great fun ,loved the train pic as soon after few days we will go on train journey to visit my home town

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your both collages of the beautiful landscapes and meadows are soooo pretty. I enjoyed them very much. Thank you Jan for sharing & enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of your walks! Makes me extremely jealous that you have such delightful sights to enjoy! The crochet looks wonderful.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos, I too would love a ride on the steam train and enjoy a meal but a little too rich for my purse. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos - your collages are beautiful. I agree with the comment about men and trains - I remember taking my girls to Didcot when they were small. A guest locomotive arrived at one end of the platform and children were practically trampled underfoot in the mad stampede of men, rushing to take a photo. I wouldn't mind a ride and a meal on one though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sitting in a queue of cars waiting for the level crossing to open and wondered why there were some men with their cameras standing near the barrier. After 15 minutes the Pullman Tornado sauntered past! Such a surprise. Not quite the Royal Scotsman though. Lots of lovely photos of your walks and crochet. Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do take some lovely walks and you have beautiful countryside around you to walk in. It must have been wonderful to see the Flying Scotsman in Salisbury. I saw it about 25 years ago at Appleby station in Cumbria when we passed through on the Settle to Carlisle railway it was in the station taking on water:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely collection this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love steam engines, we've gotten to ride on a few and always enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some lovely countryside to walk in. It's looking glorious at the moment. Wonderful collages. You seem to have bigger images on your slide show than mine and so they're good to look at. We were going to go to the Railway Museum in York on Saturday as part of our day out, but in the end enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine in the gardens. I would love to see the Flying Scotsman. Have a good weekend whatever you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture of the thatched cottage in particular probably because you'd never find one here! You are blessed with gorgeous scenery to walk in. Gorgeous crocheting as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. RE your slug problem - are you sure they are to blame? I was just reading in a garden mag a lady saying something was eating her viola flowers, and the answer said if you can't see any shiny slug trails, it could be birds eating them. They suggested deterring them with Vitax Stay Off RTU, stocked at most garden centres. Just a suggestion xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your bank weekend. Ours was last weekend and it went by all too quickly. What wonderful places for walks - and a bit of history thrown in at the Railway museum. Your ripple crochet looks like waves on the ocean with all those beautiful blues.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We saw the Flying Scotsman at Dunbridge as it flashed by! You took some lovely photos this week, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Jan
    We saw the Flying Scotsman news on our TV in New Zealand, so you see it has world wide notoriety!
    It would be fun to do the trip but it is a little costly when on a budget.
    England is beautiful in Spring with the wonderful old trees in new leaf and the masses of wildflower so.
    I loved your post.
    Happy Spring!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that you got to see The Flying Scotsman - what a treat! Your ripple blanket looks gorgeous, and I love your pretty mosaics, especially the wild flowers.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your life looks really full! So many interesting things. Woodland evokes such wonderful natural feeling. Blanket remind about beautiful sea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband was supposed to be helping with the Flying Scotsman this weekend but he had to pull out much to his dismay, glad you were able to take part and enjoy this historic time. Your crochet is looking wonderful and your blocked squares for the CAL brilliant. Have you started this weeks hearts yet? I'm loving them, so quick and pretty x

    ReplyDelete