Sunday 1 May 2016

The Year In Books - May


I am joining with Laura at Circle of Pine Trees once again to bring you my May selection of books. 




I managed to finish my April selection before the end of the month and wanted a light easy read that I thought I would finish by the end of the month, however this wasn't to be so I will continue reading this and review it at the end of May.  






My other choices for May are:-














I will be back at the end of May to review these books.


 So now onto my reviews of the books I read during April:-


I started off the month with this non-fiction read.








I had been looking forward to reading this but I have to say it didn't live up to the expectation - it was ok but not quite what I thought it was going to be. 


Simon Armitage decided to walk the Pennine Way but in the opposite direction (North to South) to what most people do it, walking home towards the Yorkshire village where he was born. He financed his journey by giving poetry readings in village halls, churches, pubs and living rooms. I expected to get more of a feel for the poetry he wrote but in fact the book contained very little of his poetry, just endless repetition of how he collected the money he made in his trusty sock! Although there was some humour and amusing anecdotes in the book these were few and far between, on the whole the walk seemed quite a miserable experience for Simon. You were left with the feeling that it was a forced thing to do in order to write the book. After the very strange ending to the book you were rather left with the feeling of 'why did I bother'. 


My next read was Song of the Skylark by Erica James, a favourite author of mine. I have read every single one of her novels and have enjoyed them all. This latest one was no exception.







The book centres around two females, a young lady (Lizzie) who has made some big mistakes in her life and a ninety year old (Clarissa Dallimore). Lizzie first encounters Clarissa when she is forced to take up a volunteering position in a care home for the elderly. The two characters form an unexpected but firm friendship that will change Lizzie's outlook on life as Clarissa gradually retells her life journey which was fascinating and filled with emotion. I particularly enjoyed the WW2 back story. This is a book I found hard to put down as I became really absorbed in the story.


Next was another emotional read by an author I hadn't read before but which was recommended to me by a friend. 







This book features Lou Clark, a woman who had drifted between dead-end jobs until she takes up a post as a carer to a young man, Will Traynor, who, as a result of a road accident, has been left as a quadriplegic. This might sound as if it is a grim and depressing read but it is far from that. There are some parts that make you cry but equally there is a lot of humour and laughter as well. You certainly go through a roller-coaster of emotions reading this but it is a compelling read that will leave you with a lasting impression.

The last of my April selection was Red Sky At Night. 








Containing country folklore and old wives tales, some chapters were really interesting, others not so much. I felt it contained a peculiar mix of subjects. I guess I was expecting to read more about how some of the old countryside sayings originated so therefore this book didn't live up to some of the expectations I had for it. Perhaps as a dip in and out book it would work better than trying to read it from cover to cover as I did.






5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Me before you and I'm looking forward to seeng how the movie turns out. I've also read Me without you. I couldn't put this one down and it's one I'll remember for a long time. Look forward to hearing what you think of it Jan. I'm off to check out some of the other authors you've shared x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a little lax of late with reading preferring to do a little crafting instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your reading, I hope you like May's choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same about Red Sky at Night. I've been wanting to read the Simon Armitage book for a while but I'm not so keen after your review! I think it might be one I'll consider borrowing from the library but won't buy a copy now!

    ReplyDelete